Return to Blog Home Page

22 April 2010

Enabling the Love-Hate Relationship

It amazes me how many things in life invoke the love-hate relationship quandary. You know how it works, but I'll give you a couple examples just in case:

First, are the snowplows that come by during the winter months. I LOVE the fact that our streets stay plowed. But HATE the fact that they can't drive and typically scrape sod off my lawn...

Second is the street sweeper that comes through in the spring. I LOVE that all the dirt, sand and pebbles are gone from the long winter. But I HATE the fact that the sweeper breaks up the asphalt along our curb and makes an even bigger mess.

And I could go on and on (automatic sprinkler heads, electronic devices, technology, etc.) but I don't want to bore you.
So what are we doing with our websites and our web strategy to keep from enabling a love-hate relationship with those that visit us?
I won't lie, we can't please all the people all the time. But for the most part, do we give people a sense of "zen" when they visit? Or do we so frustrate them, that the good our sites do end up being hated at the same time?

At Granger, we have a short list of things we know have the potential to provoke this response in people. We try to knock things off the list as soon as possible, but aren't always successful.

I guess the most important thing is to recognize them for what they are and work toward minimizing their impact on our visitors.

Do you struggle with this as well?