Return to Blog Home Page

16 February 2009

It Has Been Mobi-licious!

The fun started today. For those of you that love gadgets (more specifically mobile gadgets) today is the first day of the Mobile World Congress 2009. If anyone wants to be a somebody in the mobile world they'll be there sharing their new stuff.

With the Palm Pre being outed at CES 2009 this year, I wasn't expecting it to be big news at MWC. But there is plenty of other cool stuff to go around. I'm currently watching the Engadget feed like a hawk as post after post comes in about the latest stuff being unveiled.

Of course I can't say that anything has interested me as much as the Palm Pre, and I am getting more and more frustrated that it isn't going to be available for a while. But while I'm waiting it's fun to see what other companies are doing with their product lines.

There are new products (hardware) and many updates to existing products.

There are new products (software) being unveiled as well.

Here are just a few of the cool cool things I've seen so far:

  1. Nokia N97 which looks like a pretty cool phone but is also connected to the new Ovi Store for Apps and other downloads.
  2. HTC Touch Phones: HTC is leading the charge for the WinMo phone market. The Touch Pro2 (with video) and the new Touch Diamond2 (with video). Both look like winners.
  3. Samsung OmniaHD: Amazing possibilities with 720p video (exhaustive inspection).
  4. Windows Mobile 6.5: Finally an upgrade that will at least keep WinMo phones viable in today's market - though that's not saying much (walk through here). They are now thinking outside the box - but is it too little too late? I have 6.1 right now and won't even be able to upgrade...
  5. Palm Pre to support Flash? Just thought I'd throw that in for free :)
That's it for now but I'm sure there will be a lot more to come...