Return to Blog Home Page

23 September 2007

HDTV Arrives | Part 2

The Samsung (specifics here) is officially hanging on the wall now with all cables routed through the wall. It has been there for a few weeks now so I thought I'd take a stab at a preliminary review for those who care:

  • Awesome - Once you've experienced HDTV there is no going back
  • 720p - I'm sure some day I'll want 1080p but for now there isn't a reason. I don't typically do the gaming thing and with how good an upconverted DVD looks I'm assuming a Blu-ray or HD DVD would blow me away even at 720p
  • Inputs - More than enough. HDMI x3 and a PC input that allows for second monitor functionality from my laptop
  • Look/design - I think the piano black finish looks great in our living room and the little blue power light is pretty sweet too. Presents well with low profile wall mount
  • Remote - Some lag in response after hitting buttons - though typically not used. You'll end up using the remote that comes with your DVR anyway
  • Picture settings - Nice and easy options for dynamic, standard and movie presentation modes along with 16:9, 4:3, wide x2 and "just scan" aspect ratio settings
  • Screen refresh rate - Standard 60Hz refresh rate which is great 75% of the time. But what I wouldn't give for the 120Hz for the other 25%. If there is a lot of movement on the screen (some sports and some transitions on regular HD channels) you get pixelation

Overall I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10.